Flip Chart 101 – Create a Trainers Toolbox
Relying on others to provide the right supplies or equipment for a training session can potentially end in an embarrassing and frustrating experience for you and your participants. It can also create challenges in your program delivery if they fail to follow through and bring the promised materials.
Part of being a successful trainer or facilitator is to project a positive, professional image. Something as simple as forgetting to bring a planned tool needed for a session can send a potentially negative message to your participants. For example, if you were planning small group activities where learners were to capture ideas on a flip chart page and you forgot to bring markers, that could necessitate a last-minute change to your program format.
Flip Chart 101 – Create a Trainers Toolbox by The Creative Trainer – Robert W. Lucas, Awarding Winning Brain-Based Adult Training Author
To avoid such instances, assemble a “toolbox” of items and accessories normally used in training and carry it with you whenever you are going to facilitate a session.
Get started by visiting an office supply, kitchen, or department store or Website that sells plastic pencil boxes. Select one that has a lid (preferably attached) and is large enough to hold at least the items listed below:
- Twelve-inch ruler.
- An assortment of water-based, colored markers (black, red, dark blue, dark green, brown, yellow, orange, pink).
- Roll of masking tape (1 inch).
- Small stapler.
- Box of stick or straight pins (you can also store these in a small medicine bottle).
- Small scissors.
- Artists’ Exacto knife or a box cutter (with single edge razor).
- Post It flip chart tabs to mark pages for easy location.
- Art gum eraser (used by graphic designers/artists because it doesn’t discolor or tear flip chart paper).
- Transparent (invisible) wrapping tape for repairing torn pages.
For additional creative training ideas using pertaining to flip charts, get a copy of The Big Book of Flip Charts: A Comprehensive Guide for Presenters, Trainers, and Team Facilitators.